Friday, May 7, 2010

Remote Control Car

Toy #3 - Remote Control Car (TYCO Turbo Hopper)


Why Chosen: This was one of my favorite toys growing up, I had so much fun playing with this and the picture above is the exact model that I had. Everyday after school, weather permitting, my dad would usually have the RC Cars (yep, my brother had one too) ready to go when we got off the school bus. We'd race them around the yard and set up obstacles and jumps to have a little extra fun with them. The turbo feature was cool too. There was even a switch on the back that let you set the speed at fast or slow, but on the fast setting the batteries would die quicker. This was the first toy I remember having with rechargeable batteries.

Worst thing to happen to this toy: We tried to recreate some of the scenarios from the TV commercial (see below) and parts of the car might break off (half the front bumper, plastic headlights) if it landed the wrong way. We were rough on those things, but it was a lot of fun seeing what jumps we make. You wouldn't think that it would be hard to run the tire treads on an RC car down to nothing, be we proved you could.



Where are they now: No clue, but I wish I knew where it was now. I'd love to take it for a spin around my parents backyard if they have it anywhere in their attic or garage. I don't think it was in good enough shape to give away, so it might be hidden away somewhere. Note to self, look for it next time I go visit my parents.


If I could play with them today, would I?: Without a doubt, yes! When I lived in Starkville, MS I actually thought on more than one occasion about going out and buying one. There wasn't a lot to do in Starkville, so I would have enjoyed having a new one to play with.

Relevant in today's times?: Sure, there's still a following for them and you can find them at any toy store but unless you want to pay a good bit of money for a good model you're only going to find cheap versions in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment